History of Lions:
Lions International was established in 1917. Lions are civic minded men and women volunteers in communities around the world.
The Lions motto is “We Serve”.
Today the International association of Lions Clubs is the largest service organization in the world with 1.35 million members in over 46 thousand clubs in 207 countries and geographic areas.
In 1925 Helen Keller was the guest speaker at the International Convention. She challenged the Lions Clubs organization to become “Knights of the Blind” to help rid the world of treatable blindness. From that day on, Lions Clubs International has done more for Eye Care than any other organization in the world.
History of The Foundation:
In the beginning: In 1974 the Lions of Louisiana formed “The Louisiana Lions Eye Foundation” to continue this commitment of Eye Care here in Louisiana.
The Articles of Incorporation were restated in 1984 Here is a copy.
In 1986 The Louisiana Lions Eye Foundation, working with LSU helped to built a facility located at 2020 Gravier Street in New Orleans. Today, this building houses the Louisiana Lions Eye Foundation’s main offices and the LSU Health Sciences Center Department of Ophthalmology.
To improve the quality of life for Louisiana residents, through eye care services.
Is to Patient Care, Research & Development and Education.
TheLouisianaLions Eye Foundation serves thousands of residents each year through eye exams, eyeglasses, surgeries, low vision services, eyeglass recycling and vision screenings.